- 750ml bottle of red wine
- 1 sliced clementine
- Cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 dried figs
- 4 cloves , peppercorn
- 50ml brandy
- Pour the red wine into a large saucepan. Add the clementine, cinnamon stick, star anise, dried figs, cloves and black peppercorns. Heat very gently until simmering, then turn off the heat.
- Fish out the whole spices and peppercorns with a spoon, then stir in the brandy. Ladle into mugs, or heatproof glasses to serve. You could drop in a slice of clementine to each.
THE PERFECT SNOWBALL
- 50ml advocaat
- 50ml sparkling lemonade
- ice, to serve
For the garnish
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Add the advocaat and lemonade to a tall glass filled with ice. Stir gently until the outside of the glass feels cold.
- Garnish with the maraschino cherry.
- 50ml whisky
- 3 tsp honey
- 1 cinnamon stick, snapped in half
- 1 lemon half juiced and half sliced
- 2 cloves
- Whisk the whisky and honey together and split between 2 heatproof glasses. Add half of the cinnamon stick to each, then top up with 200ml boiling water.
- Add a splash of lemon juice to each, then taste and add more to your preference. Finish each with a slice of lemon, studded with a clove, and serve immediately.